Sunday, April 20, 2008

Camping Trip-Arches National Park

An arch on the Devil garden loop hike-Cousin Rachel, Natalie, Jake, and cousin Joseph.
Josh climbing through a crevice on the fiery furnace hike.


Broken Arch--this hike was just behind our campsite-we did it twice!
Landscape Arch-passed this on the 7 1/2 mile hike (John did just 3 mi with Caroline & Joseph)
In the Fiery Furnace--really cool crevices we hike through and arches we climbed through.
On the way to Broken Arch--The kids love finding caves and hiding spots.

We went camping at Devil's campground which is the only campground inside of the park.  It was absolutely beautiful.  Our tent trailer was surrounded by red rock formations.  The kids had endless fun playing hide and seek, exploring and climbing.  We went on some of the most beautiful hikes I have ever been on.  The scenery was breathtaking.  Pictures do not do it justice and it makes me want to upgrade my camera.  The weather was cool which made the hikes in the dessert sun perfect!!  We went with Mike's family and the kids had fun with their cousins. We will definitely camp here again.  One of the reasons I love camping so much is that it takes our family out of the "world" for a few days--no tv, phone, computer, friends, etc. We are able to spend real quality time together and it seems there are less arguments and teasing.  I have decided to put more limits on the tv and computer since this trip.    I actually liked this vacation better than Disney World.  There was not that anxious feeling to get to every "ride" to get our money worth like there was at Disney World.  I think watching my children that they had just as much fun too.  Here are our families top ten for the trip:

10. clean campground bathrooms
9. All you can eat pizza at Zax's in Moab (honey chicken pizza was the favorite)
8. campfire s'more and roasting starburst
7. lizard chasing/catching
6. playing with cousins
5. Devil garden 7 1/2 mile loop hike (kids didn't like the last mile)
4. Delicate Arch (the Utah arch) 
3. exploring and climbing
2. hide and seek at campsite
1.  Fiery Furnace Hike

4 comments:

Mommymita said...

I agree that National Parks have more to offer than Disney.

I love the pictures and am curious how honey chicken pizza and roasted starbursts taste.

What a fun trip and memory with cousins! Good work on all the hiking sounds like you had fun and got some great exercise in!

Mary said...

I love arches! The pictures are beautiful. I'm glad you had a fun time.

Becca said...

I love your pictures. Arches is a beautiful park. We will have to join you next time you camp there if I am not so huge and pregnant.

Cathy said...

Emily, it's great that your kids are old enough to go on adventures. Pictures look great!