Saturday, January 2, 2010

Time Capsule--New Years Day


For ten years this time capsule has sat on the top shelf in our cold storage. The kids were really excited and curious to open it on New Years day. In it was a letter each child wrote or dictated to themselves 10 years in the future. They wrote goals, things they liked/disliked,their chores, friends, and anything else they wanted their future self to know. They each also had put in a few treasures and items in it like a newspaper, beanie baby, pokeman card, shell, pictures they painted, Christmas card, pictures of each of them and other random things. We all sat around reading our letters. Then we read each of them out loud and both laughed and cried (John and I). These letters truly captured what our life was like 10 years ago.

In my letter I wrote, "I recognize that I only have a few precious years while the children are young...". This was so true, time really does go by fast.We are now out of the baby and toddler stage and have mostly teenagers. In ten years only Joseph will still be at home. For family night we are going to put together another time capsule to open up in 2020.

In another part of the letter I wrote; "Today I washed and folded 8 loads of laundry. It is a challenge for me to keep up on the house work and organizing seems like a constant activity". I guess some things never change!!

4 comments:

Mommymita said...

That is so cool! I'm always borrowing your idea - thanks for sharing them

Mary said...

What a fun idea!

Suz said...

Emily, you are the best Mom - I love this and want to do one for 2020

Christina, knick name Bina said...

Ohh how sweet, I got a lump in my throat as I read, that is so nice!!