Sunday, March 16, 2008

1st garage sale of season

I told John I wasn't going to buy anything but only look at a fundraiser/yardsale this past Saturday.  Yet, I came home with 3 shirts for Caroline, a sweatshirt and 2 shirts for Joseph, camouflage rain boots for Joseph, a new library book bag, earings for Natalie, and a seasoned wok.  Well I spent all of 4 dollars on everything.  To my credit I did put back some items I was going to buy.  My goal this year is to be very selective and to get rid of the same number of items of stuff I bring in.   I still don't know why I love a good yard sale.  Perhaps it is the thrill of the hunt.  Or it could be because it is the one thing my good friend Lori and I do each Saturday morning.  Some of my favorite things I own are from yard sales like a quilt top made with vintage clothes and fabric from 1950s that I finished or the old vintage picnic basket that we use when we go camping or up the canyon.  My girl's favorite dress up clothes I have purchased at garage sales.  There is also the shopping high I get from finding a bargain.  I think I inherited my love for garage sales from my mom who would find cool antiques on the curbside in Boston set out for the garbage when we were little.  I guess I did not need any of the items I bought but my children sure loved them.  Tomorrow I will get rid of some of my junk and maybe make a stir fry to justify the wok:)

2 comments:

Mommymita said...

I'm on the look out for the following items:

-bunt cake pan
-cake stand
-cast iron dutch oven or pot
-costumes
-little tricycle for Clara
-table cloths

Call me if you see any of these items. I can't wait to get out and start the hunt also.

Cathy said...

Emily,

Great finds! I'm a sucker for a good deal too. I usually only take $5 cash and see what I can find. The problem is that I end up owing people money :-)