Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Favorite Granola

RayAnne gave me this recipe and we love it.  I make a batch at the beginning of the week and it is gone by Sunday.  John takes some on the road for a snack.  I have recently substituted the canola oil it calls for with coconut oil, which I have learn is healthier.  This has replaced any cold cereal I used to purchase.

Granola

Combine:
6 Cups rolled oats
1/2 C sunflower seeds
1/4 C sesame seeds
1 C unsweetned coconut
1/2 C. wheat Germ
1 Cups chopped nuts ( we like almonds)
1/3 cup canola oil ( I use a glass measuring cup and add oil first then honey and then the honey comes out easier)
2/3 cup warm honey (or more if you like, original recipe had 1 cup)
Mix well and spread on two oiled cookie sheets.  Cook for 30 min at 275-- Do not over bake.

Mix in: 
an additional 1/3 honey (warm in microwave) --adjust this to more or less depending on the sweetness you prefer--I think the original recipe had up to 1/2 of cup.
add 1-2 Tlbs Vanilla
       1/4-1/2  tsp almond extract (opt)
       1/2 C ground flax seed (opt)
Let cool and store in sealed container. Refrigerate if storing for long periods.
You may add raisins, craisins, other dried fruits, cinnamon, or other spices. 
* I sometimes add a cup of 6 grain flakes also. I purchase most of the items in bulk at the health food store.


5 comments:

sunshine family said...

this sounds really good!

kaley

RayAnne said...

We've been eating a lot of granola, too! I actually use 6 grain cereal in place of the oats. You can also try putting maple syrup or peanut butter in it. I bought a box of Cheerios the other day and Rachel asked me why I bought whole wheat Cheerios. I told her they were just regular Cheerios, and she asked why they tasted like cardboard. Joseph, on the other hand, was psyched to have something other than granola!

Mommymita said...

This one is good! is your 6 grain mix rolled?

Becca said...

do you think it might still be good without nuts and sesame seeds? - Because of allergies?

Emily said...

Yes--I think Lori makes it without nuts. I think you can add whatever you want to the oatmeal.