Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday Driver

Natalie got her driver's permit last week and has been pestering me each day to take her on long drives.  Today I told her I she could drive for an hour.  She did pretty good, but still not ready to drive on any road over 45 mph.  In our state, I do not understand why they give the kids their permit before going to driver's ed.  Natalie's first ever driving experience was when I let her drive to school.  I backed up and then let her in the driver's seat.  She put it in drive and then floored it(I think the only experience driving before this was in bumper cars), I screamed stop which she then preceded to slam on the break!--whiplash.  She quickly figured out how much pressure to apply and we arrived at her school safely.   I can't complain to much because once when I was in driver's ed I mixed up the break and gas and drove over a 2 ft snowbank.  Mr. Jonson grabbed the wheel and jammed his finger at the same time.  He refused to drive with me again and good ole Mr. Michaleck (sp?) patiently taught me to drive. :)

5 comments:

Suz said...

Congratulations Natalie. It is kind of scarry that 2 little toddlers in princess dresses are now driving (you and rachel). She will be safe. Mexico City is so scarry I can't even describe it. No one follows any rules. Luckily traffic keeps the speeds down. No sneaking out with the car now!

Chris Hash said...

It's a wonder they (and we) survive, but we do! I have tried to pawn most of the driving instruction and practice off on Steve, but I'm not always successful!

Amy G said...

Funny post Emily, I think because I can totally relate having had to teach three kids to drive!!! I think when Ethan turns 16 I will have one his older siblings to the job as I think I will be too old for the sometimes heart-stopping experience!!!!

Mommymita said...

Good work Natalie! I'm more excited for you to turn 16 though because you'll start dating and the stories will get really fun

Heidi said...

Good job Natalie for getting your permit! With you and Parker learning to drive your mother and I will have to get matching neck braces because I too have experienced the beauty of whiplash with Parker. :) It definitely takes some time to get used to the feel of the brakes. I learned to drive at 6:15 in the morning driving to early morning seminary every day with my very patient dad. Let's just say it was a good thing the roads were empty...