Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!!


My mom was and is truly a supermom.  With all of her amazing "powers" she loved and raised 17 children.  She made mothering seem so easy.  I remember when I had my first baby Johnny, what an adjustment it was and how hard it was to be without sleep.  She had "super powers" of energy.  Since I was one of the older children I remember my mom coming home from the hospital with many of my younger siblings.  My mom would not skip a beat and be back at her old routine like nothing happened except for a cute little bundle that now lay in the bouncer chair.  I do not remember her laying around in bed for the first week home like I have done.  She manage to get all the kids to the many activities, sports,lessons, etc. and still make dinner. She would take "super" naps at the traffic lights that seem to give her the added energy she needed.  She would put one of us in charge of telling her when the light turned green and she could open her eyes again.  She had "super powers" of patience and would tell us we needed more love even after times we yelled, complained, and whined at her.  She had "super powers" of faith.  She taught the importance of prayer and when we had a problem she would say "Why don't you pray about it."  I remember my junior year being invited to go down to Florida for spring break with some friends.  When I asked my mom if I could go she said why don't you pray about it.  I thought, sweet I can go.  When I prayed about going, I had the distinct impression that I should not go.  I was disappointed, but it was one of the first time I received a direct answer to a prayer.  She had faith that my prayer would be answered.  She has many other "super powers" but, her most powerful power was love.  I always knew of and felt her love with me.  

I am grateful to have a "supermom" as a mother.  I truly feel blessed to be raised by such a wonderful woman.  The only drawback is that she did make  mothering  appear so easy.  Now that I am a mother I truly am amazed of all that she accomplished with her children and how she continues to helps all her children, her grandchildren, others around her.  

Thanks Mom.  I love you.

 

1 comment:

Mommymita said...

I don't really remember the first week of Mom coming home with a newbaby but now I'm feeling a bit guilty for my complaint in feeling so worn out and tired. It is still a mystery how she got it all done. Especially considering that she never asked Dad to change one diaper.

I do remember however that you and Cheryl seemed kind of like mothers to me as well so thank YOU for all you did to help raise us little kidsl. You are definately a Super Mom and Super Sister.