Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Activity Advent Calendar

This year instead of putting prizes or candy in our advent calendar, I am putting a scripture and an activity in it.  Yesterday I put each person's name on small pieces of paper and we drew names to be secret elves to for the week.  Today, I will put a tiny book inside and then we will unwrap a Christmas book to read.  Tomorrow I will put a stamp inside and we will all help with the Christmas cards; stamping, stuffing, licking etc.  When we have a concert or party to attend, that will be the activity for that day.  Other things I may include as activities are crafts, service projects, more stories, Christmas movies, driving around to look at the lights, caroling, and baking.   I am excited to try out this "new" advent calendar. Hopefully this will help us draw closer as a family as we celebrate the true meaning of Christmas.

6 comments:

Mommymita said...

great idea! I cut the scriptures out of the friend and tapped them inside.

Did you ever get your name on there?

Cathy said...

Emily I love that little house! Where did you get it? Anywho, one night you can come to Bountiful to see our light show. ha!

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Cathy--Al and I bought them at a pottery barn outlet. I will have add a trip to your light show to our list.

Al--mine still says The Giordanos--I edited out of the photo. I usually have it turned around. This is still on my to do list.

Mary said...

Thanks for the ideas!

Heidi said...

What a great idea! I haven't even finished putting up the tree (3 days later)... I really like the idea of putting in scriptures and having everyone help with the letters (again, haven't even started!). You always have great ideas!