Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Recent Passings

I was sadden when I heard the news that Elder Wirthlin had passed away.  He is my father's first cousin, but more importantly he was my father's close friend.  I looked forward to and loved his talks and the messages he gave.  He was a great spiritual leader and man.  I loved his last conference talk, "Come what may and Love it".  I also came across a great message in an old Ensign he wrote where he tells a story about "Snowman".  I will share this story with my family for our advent activity tonight.  12 hours after hearing the news about Elder Wirthlin, my father recieved a call that his brother who had been ill passed away.  Eventhough Uncle Ralph always lived far away I loved hearing stories about him from my Dad and Aunt. I also loved it when he visited and cooked up a storm.  Dad, know that we are thinking of you and our hearts are reaching out to you at this time. 
  
 Elder Wirthlin said, "One of the great comforts of the gospel of Jesus Christ is our knowledge that this earthly existence is merely a twinkle in the eye of eternity.  Whether we are at the beginning of our mortal journey or at the end, this life is merely one step--one small step."  

3 comments:

Amy G said...

Emily, love that last comment from Elder Wirthlin and loved his last talk. We have been using the title of his talk within our faimly! Reminds us to be happy with our circumstances! Our sympathy goes out to you and your father!

Mommymita said...

I forgot about that horse story and I'll just copy you and read it to my kids tonight too

Heidi said...

I was sad to hear about Elder Wirthlin as well. I am also sorry to hear about your uncle. It is really sad for those of us left here when someone passes, but it is such a great reunion on the other side! I'm grateful this life is not the end.