Saturday, December 6, 2008

On your Mark, Get set, Go!!!!





















Well begun is half done
Aristotle

My children dread doing their Saturday chores.  In their minds they seem like insurmountable and never ending tasks. I decided to time them and give a prize to each person who finished their jobs in one hour.  All the children claimed a prize. It was eye opening for them to see that their chores really did not take as long as they thought.   I have had the same mental block with cleaning my bathroom.  I timed myself today and was able finish in 20 minutes which is good considering it is fairly large. ....Where is my prize?

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Love this post! My children are always loathing Saturday chores. I will have to try a prize to get them to work a little faster. Does it also prevent them from fighting with each other? :)

Amy G said...

Emily, I'm amazed at what a great mom you are! I'm kind of past the chores for kids on Saturdays! But, I'm afraid that I'm heading right back into it. Reading your blog makes me realize I need to start up with chores with Ethan since he will be 4 soon! Thanks for the example!

Pete said...

Your prize is a clean bathroom!

Emily said...

Amy--I end up "helping" Joseph do his work still. I never realized how hard it is to be strict with the youngest.

Mommymita said...

Your kids are really good cleaners - I was especially impressed with Josh's bathroom job.

Mary said...

Good idea with the timer. I think I will try that and see if it will keep ME focused during cleaning time.