Thursday, November 19, 2009

Made with Love--gift exchange


We used to take all the children to the dollar store in December and let them pick out a gifts for each other. They loved it, but I hated the 36 items of junk that came into the house each year. These things always ended up in the garbage within a week.

3 years ago we started a new tradition and the kids picked names for a their gift exchange. The only catch was it had to be made by the giver. This takes a lot more thought and effort. In the above picture, Joseph had been working for 2 hours on Johnny's present, when I said to him,"why don't you to take a break?" He replied, "Mom, a boy does not give up on his brother!" Haha He has been really excited as he works on his gift. Caroline has a great idea for Josh and I wish she picked me. Here are some of the past gifts.
  • Johnny---Natalie---made her a special music mix cds
  • Natalie---Caroline----typed her up a cookbook of favorite family recipes
  • Jake------Joseph------decoupaged a wooden treasure chest with super hero stickers
  • Joseph---Josh------painted wood letters of Josh's name for his room
  • Josh-----Joseph-----took photos of Joseph's favorite toys, books, and him playing and combined with some random pictures of him and made a little video of him with the background music "you've got a friend in me"--so cute one of my favorites!!!
  • Caroline-----Jake----freezer stencil Chinese characters saying "big brother" on a T-shirt
  • Caroline----Johnny---took all his comics strips he had collected for 5 years and compiled them into a scrapbook and sheet protectors
  • Josh------Jake----homemade bookmark and a book of his own that he knew Jake would love.
I love this new system, because the children actually feel the joy and excitement that accompanies giving instead of receiving.

6 comments:

Amy G said...

What a great idea Emily! When does Johnny come home? I'll bet you guys are excited! I can't even imagine!!!

Becca said...

You guys are so creative! I like that tradition, but I might wait a few years to start - this would take way too much effort on my part right now.

Emily said...

Amy--Johnny comes home on the 21st!!! Yes we are very excited. I need a "Johnny comes home count down" on my blog--like people have for their due dates for babies. hahaha Aaron's last letter was awesome. You must be so proud!!!
Becca--I may wait and do this tradition when all the kids are in grade school. :)

Cathy said...

Emily, your kids get to take away some of your creativity! We are excited for Johnny to come home! For every prayer Phillip always says, "Bless Hickey in Greece and bless that he doesn't step on a nail."

Emily said...

Cathy that is so cute-- I am going to tell Johnny that in his next letter. :)

Mommymita said...

I love this tradition! We adopted it from you 2 years ago. Now I do most of the making but is fun to work one on one with each child having them help me design and decide what to do.