Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wordfull Wednesdays

In our family we have a secret code for saying "I love You" when we are not able to do it verbally or physically with a hug or kiss.  When I squeeze a child's hand 3 times that child will know I'm saying "I love you".  I remember one Sunday morning a particular teenage son was not in the best of moods at church.  During the meeting I grabbed his hand and gave it three little squeezes.  Instantly, a smile emerged on his face and I felt my hand squeezed 3 times back.  Everyone needs to feel and know they are loved and this is just one of the many ways we express it in our family.  There can never be too many ways to say "I love you".  The children think it is fun to have a secret code that only we know.


More Wordfull Wednesdays here.

11 comments:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

We do this too! My mom taught me that when I was little. It reminds me a bit of the book "the Kissing Hand."

MaryAnne said...

We sign "I love you" - not quite as secret, but something you can do from a distance and not something everyone recognizes.

Desiree said...

How neat! What a great idea, I'm always looking for new ways to say I love you so I don't wear out the words, not that I would ever stop saying those words. Having those moments with your children is so wonderful.

LoraBelieves said...

What I cute idea! I think I might try that with my kids.

Montserrat said...

Now how simple yet wonderful is that!!! A great idea for those teenagers who aren't as open to displays of affection.

Aimee said...

That is a wonderful idea! My kids always like finding new ways to say "I love you."

kjha said...

I do this too, but only with my oldest. He likes having his own special thing with me. I just need to figure out secret codes for the other kids now!

Beth said...

What a great idea! I'm sure my son will appreciate that as he gets older.

Heidi said...

We do this, too. We have expanded it to 3 of anything, though, like 3 taps on your shoulder, 3 winks, etc. Sometimes David and the kids pretend they don't know what I'm doing to drive me crazy. My kids also love doing the sign language of I love you. Julianna is always giving me this sign across the room in Primary. I love it.

Chaney said...

I love it! What a great idea!!

Mommymita said...

I've got to start that with my boys because they are getting to big and run away when I try to hug them