Friday, February 27, 2009

Pizza --economics

Almost every Friday we make homemade pizza.  John was gone and I was a little bored, so I was curious to see how much we save making our own pizza.  I figured this out from my recipe that follows, which makes 3 large (12-14 inch) pizzas.

flour                                           .65
yeast                                          .10
sugar                                         .08
pepperoni                                 .22
cheese (5 oz per pizza)          1.72
pizza seasonings                      .24
tomato paste                            .41
salt                          
Total                                       $3.42  for 3 large pizzas

I usually make the crust with 1/2 ground wheat flour which would bring the cost down even more.  More importantly, I am happy I am serving my family pizza which is healthier (a little wheat,less grease and no preservatives, etc).  I also usually zap the pepperoni in the microwave for 40 seconds to dab off most of the grease.

Here is my Pizza Crust Recipe(turns out great every time!!!)

2 Cups warm water
1 T Yeast saf instant yeast
5 C. Flour
3 T brown sugar
1 tsp salt
cornmeal

In mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water.  Add flour, salt, and sugar. mix well and knead for 3 minutes.  Divide into 3 sections put olive oil on hands and shape into balls.  Set on baking sheet with seran wrap over and let rise 1-2 hours.  Preheat oven to 500 (we heat a pizza stone).  Roll out pizza on pizza board sprinkled liberally with corn meal.  Brush with olive oil and spread with sauce and toppings.  Slide onto hot pizza stone.  Bake for 6-7 minutes.  If you don't have a pizza stone or board, just roll out on counter and put in your regular pizza pan.

Variations:
Wheat--add 2-3 cups
Honey Pizza-- (my kids love this--had some at a restaurant in Moab) spread with honey and sprinkle a little mozzarella cheese.  When done you may put a little more honey on top.
BBQ Chicken pizza:    brush dough with olive oil, and top with about 1/3 cup BBQ sauce.  I prefer Sweet Baby Ray's.  Sprinkle with cheese, sliced red onions and cooked BBQ chicken.  Bake 6 minutes and sprinkle with chopped cilantro when done.

I make this recipe in my 14 C cuisinart and put dry ingredients in first then pulse and then add water and let knead for 45 seconds once in a ball.  So FAST!!!

7 comments:

Mommymita said...

It turned out good! I used 2 c. wheat, 1 cup spelt and 2 c white flour

I will try the honey one next time

Mike Wirthlin said...

Emily,

Great economic study. However, I think you are underestimating the cost of your pizzas. Did you factor in the electricity used to cook the pizzas? What about the depreciation of all your appliances and home? Even more, what is the opportunity cost of making the pizzas yourself? The hidden costs can add up quickly.

I sometimes joke with RayAnne when we eat our garden tomatoes that we are eating $40.00 tomatoes. RayAnne doesn't like it when I analyze all of the hidden costs with our home production.

Not matter what it costs, nothing beats a home grown tomato or a home made pizza.

- Mike

Emily said...

Mike--yes, I did not add in electricity or depreciation--careful you may talk me out of ever making pizza again. I agree with you about the garden and the cost to grow a few simple plants.---You and RayAnne have the best $40.00 tomatoes, though.

Mary said...

It's less expensive than $5.oo Little Ceasars!

You didn't add some other factors that make up for the electricity... healthier and probably tastes 100 times better than anything you can buy!

Heidi said...

I love MIke's analysis! :) I am glad to hear that it is so much cheaper because every once in a while, when I am in the kitchen cooking forever, I wonder if it really is a better deal to make it myself. Now I know!

Chris Hash said...

Great post, Emily! I will have to try this. (As to cost - what about the long-term cost of health problems? Just a thought!)

Cathy said...

Emily, ha! I love how your analysis started a whole economics discussion. Whether or not you are saving money, you are creating some great memories. I don't know if a greasy cardboard box can invoke the same emotions as a homemade pizza! "There are some things that money can't buy ... for everything else there's Mastercard." ha!
I can't wait to try the recipes!