Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

When I was a little girl some of my fondest memories were when my dad came home and I would sing "I'm so glad when Daddy comes home"--I always loved giving him a big hug and kiss at the end. Also when he would come home after a long day of surgery or patients he would collapse in his leather chair and the kids would try to pull off his support stockings. They were so tight that when they finally came off we would go tumbling backwards. I loved waltzing with him while standing on his feet. I loved his whisker kisses and big bear hugs. I always felt special to my dad and I never doubted his love for me. He was always very strict and rules were not up for discussion, but I feel this helped us all feel safe and secure. I grew up surrounded by 6 rambunctious brothers and my dad was always a buddy and protector. He loved having someone around him always. I loved when he chose me to go on rounds with him at the hospital. I always admired him as he cared for his patients and talked to other doctors and nurses. My favorite dances in High School were the Daddy Daughter ones--I always thought it was cool that my Dad could still boogie to "twist and shout". My dad works hard and plays hard. He has so many interest and hobbies. One of those is cooking. It is fun to discuss recipes with him. My kids love his ribs, steak, and sourdough bread he makes. He is always the first to get the newest kitchen gadget and try it out. My Dad also is a great story teller and everyone especially the grandchildren like to hear his African lion hunt stories. I could go on and on with many other examples of why my Dad is so special. I feel frustated because it is hard to adequately express my appreciation for the great father he was and continues to be. I feel blessed to have such a wonderful father that raised so many children who all love him. I love you Dad!!


Emily

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I loved what you said about your dad. There is no greater blessing than good parents!