Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fall Harvest












   Ifsomeone told me when I was was younger that I would enjoy the domestic arts, I would have laughed. Yet I do find simple joy in preforming skills or tasks that bless my family. When I was married I had no idea how to cook, clean, menu plan, etc; yet over the years I have love learning skills that help me in my role as homemaker. (I still have yet to capture the joy of cleaning bathrooms). 

 Yesterday I went to a friends orchard and picked peaches.   I do not remember my mom canning anything except grape jelly when we lived in Boston, but RayAnne who is an expert always walks me through it each year.  I love how the smell of fresh peaches permeates the house and the occasional taste of a juicy peach as I slice them.  I felt such a mixture of peace and gratitude as I preformed this simple task. (OK all my kids were at school at the time--I never canned with little children around) I know many people can 100s of cans each year, but for me doing these 45 jars was such an accomplishment.  I like leaving them out on the counter for a day like they are trophies for all to see. Anyone want cobbler?

7 comments:

Mommymita said...

Emily I am most impressed with how your photos turned out!

You are an amazing homemaker as well but that comes quite naturally to you. Don't worry about the bathrooms because I came over one time after Josh cleaned them and it looked great - leave that to the kids.

Oma said...

Emily, I would like to quote you in my book. Your message shows that I raised children that were able to rise miles above me in many areas. That is the greatest compliment. Perhaps I the eternal truth that "nothing is impossible,"emerged.
I loved your culinary accomplishment, and I love you. Oma

Becca said...

Wow! I am impressed! and those look so yummy!

I am lucky to be your sister and I learn so much from you. When I was younger I loved to cook and when I was 16 you convinced me to start collecting and cooking my favorite recipes. Thanks!

Mommily said...

Mom--I still haven't risen as high as you. You raised 17 children. That is almost 3 times more than my six. I am surprised you were able to even fix dinner. You are a great mom!!

RayAnne said...

Wow! The peaches look amazing. I canned pears yesterday, but got a bit discouraged when two of my jars broke during processing. Oh well! I went back to the farmer's market today and bought two more bushels. There's nothing like home canned fruit!(except, of course, fresh)

Heidi said...

They look absolutely beautiful! The color in the jars is so pretty! I am really proud of you as I have never canned anything. I think I need to learn! I was glad to read that you find joy in learning homemaking skills, because I do too. You are a great example to me!

Cathy said...

Emily you are AMAZING!! I have been a little lax this year. I had big hopes for our fruit trees. Some of them didn't do so well because of a late frost. Others, I missed my opportunity because life is so busy. My goal is to at least make apricot jalepeno jam :-)