Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wordfull Wednesdays


It is hard for me to decide on one season that I love the most because as one is ending I look forward and anticipate the next one.  So my favorite is always the one I am currently in.  Each season brings opportunities to celebrate and draw my family closer together.  So for my post I thought I would list a couple of the things we like to do in our family that helps us make memories and enjoy the season we are in.  This is not an all inclusive list--I'm just mentioning a few.  You can never have too many traditions.

Winter

Valentine's Day
*I set and decorate the table for an extra nice breakfast of waffles, strawberries, and whip cream.
*Each person has a candle in front of their place.  We light my husband who tells about our courtship and falling in love--he then lights my candle.  We both then continue to tell about the birth of each child and light each child's candle.  We talk about how as each candle is lit their is more light or "love" in the family.  The children love hearing these stories every year.
*Everyone writes homemade valentines for each other that are in a special basket in the middle of the table.


*While the children are sleeping a Leprechaun sticks shamrock stickers on the children's faces. *He usually leaves chocolate gold coins in the children's shoes and often the toilet water is green(the kids always want to be the first ones to the bathroom because of this)
*Shamrock green pancakes and green milk is for breakfast and of course we all wear green from head to toe even if it doesn't match.

*Each persons basket is attached to a string that is wrapped all over the house.  The children must follow their own string through the web to find their basket.

April Fools:
* I usually trick the children somehow and now they anticipate it and I have to be tricky.
Favorite tricks in the past:
*after school snack Oreos (I replaced the cream with toothpaste)
*putting red jello in clear plastic cups with straws--the kids love this one and always want me to do it even though they now know it is not juice.
*taping their forks to table with clear tape
*putting plastic bugs in their cereal
*writing "April fools" on a paper and putting between their sandwich bread of their lunch.
*waking up the the children at midnight and setting clocks forward and then when they have eaten breakfast and dressed for school telling them to open the blinds. :)

Summer:
*Camping
*Bear Lake


*Fall picnic:  We take a fall picnic up the canyon to enjoy the beautiful leaves.  I make a a large meal (stew,fresh rolls, salad, peach cobbler, and apple cider).  We find a picnic table at an empty campground and eat with the beautiful fall colors around us.  We take a hike and the children collect leaves to bring home.


Christmas:
*I wrap up the Christmas books and let the children choose one to unwrap and read each night.
*One night we sleep under the Christmas tree telling stories and reminiscing other Christmases.
*Santa leaves the children's stockings on their beds.  The children may wake up anytime to open the little presents in the stockings (I wrap everything, even the new toothbrush), but must wait for Mom and Dad to wake before opening the presents under the tree.
*Our children choose a name of a sibling and have to make a gift for that person.  It takes a lot more thought and time than just buying something.  (some of last year gifts: scrapbook, treasure box, Cd music mix, organizing a brother's comic collection, etc)

New Year's Eve
During the children color and decorate a Happy New Year's sign.  Each of them trace their hands on the poster and write a goal on it for the new year.  We sometimes cut these out and put them in their scrapbook or in their rooms to remember their goal.

   My favorite times in each season are the moments spent with my family.  Making these times specials and memorable is what makes the different seasons so wonderful.

**This is my first attempt at Wordfull Wednesday.  Alison convinced me to give it a try--plus someone gets a cool prize each month.  Check it out.***

9 comments:

James and Aimee said...

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Montserrat said...

This is a wonderful list of traditions! I love the Valentine's Dinner with candles for each family member.

I agree you can never have too many traditions. It helps to keep the family together!

Thanks for participating! :D

Mommymita said...

You make the best memories! Thanks for listing all your ideas.

This Girl loves to Talk said...

awesome post!! I love family traditions and am always on the lookout for more..

I posted some christmas traditions in July in my Christmas in July posts

so glad you joined wordfull wednesday

DesertHen said...

I enjoyed reading how you "enjoy" each season.....what wonderful ideas and traditions you share with our family....=)

Heidi said...

Absolutely LOVED this post! You have so many great ideas and fun things you do. You kids will always remember this stuff. You are a fun mom, Emily!!!

Sea Star said...

What a fun list of traditions. My kids would love the green water on St Patricks. I really like the valentines dinner. That sounds like a very special event each year.

I am going to have to use some of your ideas!

Becca said...

Thanks for all of your great ideas, Emily. We have allready adopted a few of them like the string for the easter baskets and the candles for valentines day! My kids love those, too.

Mary said...

You are such a fun Mom. I love your blog.