Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fast Food

So far this week I have use my Cuisinart pressure cooker everyday for healthy fast food.  I absolutely love it!!  On Sunday I used it to make cracked wheat for breakfast in 9 minutes.  Monday I used it to cook (3 min) some quinoa for a spinach vegetable salad.  Today I used it to cook (27 min) some dry red kidney beans for taco soup.  Tomorrow I may use it to make some millet for breakfast.  The beauty of it is that it cooks so fast!!!  It is great for someone like me who forgets to presoak beans or doesn't have anything ready to eat at 5:00 pm.  For the same time it would take to order and have pizza delivered I can make something healthy and have it on the table.  

4 comments:

Mommymita said...

I'm just curious.... Do the kids eat it as fast as they would pizza? I'm really having trouble with millet in the mornings - the girls eat it but not the boys

Mommymita said...

It all sounds good to me though so please post some of the recipes

Mommily said...

Al--stick with your oatmeal for the boys, they love it. For breakfast it is just John and I who eat the hot stuff. The kids usually eat the granola I make.

Cheryl's salad:
mix some cooked quinoa, fresh spinach, cut up veggies like tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, bell peppers and add salad dressing. Cheryl uses a little balsamic vinegar with Greek yogurt for her dressing. I just use what ever is on hand.

Let me know if you need the taco soup recipe.

I love the millet with fresh cut up peaches.

Heidi said...

I need to come over and have you show me how to do it!