Sunday, September 14, 2008

teenage hair crisis



Natalie had her first ever haircut at a beauty salon.  In the past I have always just given her hair a trim.  She paid for highlights with her own money.  She also got bangs.  I think she looks cute---she has been stressed out since, thinking that it is too light and she looks blond.  

I remember my first trip to the salon and what a disaster it was.  I was a junior in high school and because of early morning seminary I told the hairstylist I needed a really easy hair style.  My hair is straight and fine so I thought she would recommend a perm that was so in style in the 80's.  She said she had the perfect cut and it would keep my hair long, so instead what I came home with was a mullet.  It was so ugly.  I remember walking in to my English class and some guy saying "nice hair" sarcastically.    It took the whole year to grow out, by prom I think I had a short bob.  I think because of that experience I have not change my hairstyle at all since high school.   I need to go find the one horrible picture I let my dad take of me at that time so Natalie can put her hair in perspective.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I think we've all had that one bad haircut you talk about! When I was pregnant with Parker I got the MOST matronly haircut imaginable! At the age of 20 I looked more like a frumpy 45 year old! :) Natalie looks beautiful with her cut and highlights! I thought that as I looked at her as she spoke yesterday, and she did such a fantastic job! Emily, you have raised a wonderful girl and I am glad she is such a great example to my girls. I told Parker yesterday that he needs to make sure he marries someone sweet like Natalie... :)

Emily said...

I found a picture of this horrible haircut. This is when it had grown out for about a month. AUGG

Pete said...

Emily

Just glancing at family blogs and came across your haircut. I loved it. We all have those great awkward pics (some more awkward than others) You made my day.

Cathy said...

Emily! GREAT MULLET! Can I post it on www.ratemymullet.com? ha! Just Kidding! My most recent awkward haircut was when I chopped my hair after I had Lily and I realized it was similar to Hillary Clinton's haircut. ha! I had dish water hair after I had Phillip. The best was when I cut my hair into a boy haircut in the middle of the date. Everyone said, "you cut your hair!" and didn't say that it looked good or bad. Tell Natalie she looks great! I'm jealous that she has her braces off!

Mommymita said...

Natalie your hair looks great! Emily I like your current hairstyle better than the high look but good thing you have such a pretty face and smile you could really pull any haircut off