Friday, October 3, 2008

72 hour kit



Every year around this time I rotate the food in our 72 hour kits.  This morning I gave each of the kids last years bag and told them they could add the items to their lunches or eat them for snacks.  Jake immediately ate the pudding, pop tart, and some beef jerky for breakfast.  My younger children were so excited to dump out the bag and see all the "goodies".  Joseph said, "Wow, I'm rich" as he sorted his snacks.  Natalie took her whole bag minus the v8 juice and vienna sausage to school for her locker--Her own personalize vending machine. 

7 comments:

RayAnne said...

Good idea! I need to desperately replace too small clothes and old, stale food in our 72-hour kits.

Mommymita said...

Good idea could you please post what exactly you put in your 72 hour kit?

I had one in charlotte and upon moving I discovered it had been nested by mice. Since then I have been somewhat hesistant to create a new one

Mary said...

We just finished putting together our kits too. We thought we would rotate food & clothes every six months at General Conference time.

Becca said...

Those look really good. I also want the list of food you put in those!

Mary said...

I like the big variety of junk food.

Mommily said...

Our ward puts these together and buys things in bulk. Maybe next year we all could do one with all of us and customize the food a little more.

fruit cup 2 granola bars
applesauce cup bag pretzels
2 pudding cups poptarts
2 cracker &cheese 2 peanut butter crackers
fun fruits beef/chedder sticks
3 beef jerky salami sticks
v8 juice 2 capri suns drinks
hot cocoa packet spiced cider mix
bag of peanuts can vienna sausage
crystal light pkt gum
skittles,starburst

Al--you could put it in a plastic tub
Mary--a lot of junk food--comfort food if we ever really have to use these in an emergency.

Heidi said...

I have got to do that! Our kits are 2 years old now. :(