Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Wordfull Wednesdays--My irrational fear of Mice!



This weeks Wordfull Wednesday topic is our worst fear. I decided to write about my irrational fear of little mice.  Two memories instantly come to mind depicting the horror these little rodents have caused me. One time while nursing a newborn in the middle of night I glanced up and saw a mouse run across the floor into the hall closet.  Feeling vulnerable with my sweet baby I let out a blood curling scream and continued to scream until my husband came running out of the bedroom with a baseball bat thinking I was being murdered. I tried to tell him to hurry and catch the mouse in the closet,but he just look at me in disbelief and angrily went back to bed.  I ended up sleeping on the couch with the baby because I was too scared to walk past the hall closet.

The second traumatic mouse event happen soon after.  My 18 month old daughter who was playing in our unfinished basement said, "Mom look, cute, I keep it" as she walked up the stairs.  I turn and saw her with a baby mouse squeezed in her little hand.  Though horrified, I calmly said, "Natalie let go of the mouse, we need to put it outside."  Being very stubborn she said, "No it's mine, I love it, I keep it, it's my friend." She would not let go and tightened her grip as the mouse's eyes bulged.  The play Of Mice and Men came to mine as I pried her little fingers off the mouse while she cried.  I put it in a Tupperware and then drove it to a field and dumped it out. 

We have not had many mice events since these, but if I do ever see a mouse my children know they can make one dollar for setting the trap and another for disposing of it.




7 comments:

crabapple farm said...

Great post. When we first moved into our home, we had tons of mice which became so tame the kids could just pick them up and throw them outside. They would grab a towel and calmly pick them up while I cowered in the corner. We set LOTS of traps!

Mommymita said...

This is so funny. I like the description of the little baby mice eyes bulging.

I can't remember what happened of Mice in Men though. Maybe i should re -read it.

does Natalie still like little furry friends?

kjha said...

I would have slept on the couch too!

James and Aimee said...

I don't know that I could have stayed calm if I saw my little one holding a mouse. What a great story!

Montserrat said...

I am not afraid of mice. The just run fast so that makes them scary to people sometimes. I do have a brother-in-law who is afraid of mice. It is hilarious to see him on top of the table (he's 28!) while his sisters have to chase the mouse down to kill it.

Mrs. O said...

I think you're pretty brave for even sleeping in the house after that - it would've creeped me out!

Sonja said...

Oooh! I had an experience almost identical to yours--I was nursing late at night and saw a mouse run across the hall way! Freaked me out for days.

Glad the mice have decided to stay away! :)