Monday, November 24, 2008

Homemade yogurt with powder milk




My friend gave me this recipe who has been making her yogurt this way for years.  

2 quarts warm(not too hot) milk made from powder milk (use an extra 1/3 cup powder milk when mixing this)
1-2 Tbspn yogurt(make sure it has live cultures) or/and acidophilus culture added and gently mix
Put lids on jars and put in small cooler with two other mason jars with(very hot) water bottles next to them.  Let culture for 8-12 hours.  Put in refrigerator and enjoy!!!



***I usually just half this recipe.  I fill one mason jar with warm water up to where it starts to curve.  I pour into a blender and add a almost a cup of powder milk.  Pulse to mix and then add the 1 Tlb yogurt and gently pulse once.  I pour this into two jars.  It makes about 1 1/2 quarts.  I put my hottest tap water into 2 other mason jars (sometimes I may microwave the water if it doesn't feel hot enough) and put them in a box with the yogurt and wrap with a towel and blanket because I don't have a small cooler the right size.  This is great for fruit shakes.  You can experiment using different yogurt starts.  I may try some Greek yogurt from the health food store and see how it turns out.

8 comments:

Mommymita said...

Is there a reason why you don't fill them to the top?

Also does that recipe do 3 qts or 6?

Pete said...

Great resourcefulness. I will tell Cathy to check this out. I am impressed and the smoothie idea sounds great!

Heidi said...

Is this Tamara's recipe? If so, I have had it for years, but never been gutsy enough to try making it. I may have to come watch you and then do it at home. :)

Mary said...

You always have the best ideas. I want to try this out.

Mommymita said...

Okay I tried it! I tell you how it worked. NOw i need to pick up the 4 cases of Museli I ordered

Mommily said...

Heidi-yes it is Tamara's recipe.

Al--The original recipe makes about 3 quarts.

Scribbit said...

I will definitely be trying this--I have so much powdered milk from our food storage, this is a great way to use it.

Suz said...

i just did a cost analysis:

great value cheapo yogurt is 6 cents an oz.

you can make this for 2 cents an oz.

(that is assuming regular price of 18.78 for 4 lbs of gv powdered milk from walmart and assuming you add about 2 oz of danon natural yogurt for start) i don't have any powdered milk i need to use up. is the cannary's milk less expensive?

Note: if i can get the milk on sale for 1.88 a gallon, it is the same price to use fresh milk as it is powdered milk. i hope this helps!