Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Wordfull Wednesdays--Service

                                                                    GRANDMA

 In Elder Holland's conference talk he said,
 "we are reminded that not all angels are from the other side of the veil. Some of them we walk with and talk with—here, now, every day. Some of them reside in our own neighborhoods. Some of them gave birth to us, and in my case, one of them consented to marry me. Indeed heaven never seems closer than when we see the love of God manifested in the kindness and devotion of people so good and so pure that angelic is the only word that comes to mind." 

 My mother-in-law who passed away six years ago this month was one of those angelic persons who served not only her family, but all those around her while she was alive.  She served the young, old, wealthy and the poor.  It was inspiring to us when numerous people at her viewing recounted to us stories of how this sweet and spunky woman served them and touched their lives. She never asked what she could do to help, rather when she saw a need she would fill it. When I was first married, I remember being surprised when she grabbed my foot as we watched TV to give me a foot massage. She came and helped with almost all of my new babies (above picture).  Even when she visited for a vacation she never stopped working.  I remember once getting everything I could possibly think of done in the house so she could relax when she visited, yet when she arrived she decided John needed help in the yard clearing the rocks.  She truly found joy helping those around her. Though we miss her dearly, I know she is joyfully serving those around her in heaven and continues to watch out for us from above.  
      

6 comments:

Montserrat said...

That photo of her just says it all! I love that quote by Elder Holland. His talks are always so inspiring.

And thank goodness for mothers and grandmothers who help us all. :D

Mommymita said...

That mad me cry because I remember how kind John's mom was to even us little girls. When they were still in MI she came over and helped us clean the "pink bedroom" she was so loving unlike other cleaning ladies mom hired who were just mean.

She also took us on little raft rides on Union Lake

Oma said...

I too was helped by Sylvia. She was always busy working and helping others. I miss her. Love Mom

Desiree said...

What a great tribute to somebody so wonderful. How thankful we are for these angels in our lives.

Mary said...

Sylvia was great. All always remember her taking us to the lake. Also, my friend in TX (Nadine's neice) has memories of Slyvia sending birthday cards to her. She also had some great home remedies!

Heidi said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mother-in-law! She sounds like a great woman! We all need an example like her in our lives.